On wash day, a good conditioner and a quality brush or wide-tooth comb are invaluable on wet hair. Conditioner provides “slip”, allowing the brush to move through the strands more easily, and a good brush or comb reduces the need for force and will help eliminate unnecessary breakage.
A quality detangling spray or leave-in conditioner will also help with ongoing maintenance during daily styling. The right ingredients such as calendula, tea tree and oats will help ease out any knots and offer many other benefits, too.
More like this
Here are 10 of the best detangling hair products for kids…
1. Tangle Teezer The Original, £12.00 – best for easy brushing
Nestling comfortably into the palm of your hand, the Tangle Teezer confidently tackles any tangles that come its way. It’s designed with flexible teeth that glide through hair without tugging.
The brand boasts an impressive range of brushes – you can’t go wrong with the original, but there’s also the “Thick & Curly“ which has longer and firmer teeth perfect for thick and knotted hair.
We’ve found it best to use the Tangle Teezer on wet hair and work through the strands with one of the conditioners on our list for a relaxing scalp massage and perfectly defined strands.
2. Johnson's No More Tangles Kids Conditioner 500ml, £3.75 – best for easy combing
A favourite brand with parents for generations, Johnson’s is known for its “no more tears” hair-washing promise. This conditioner has been specifically formulated to make combing easy and unlock knots and works great with the Tangle Teezer at the top of our list.
Users describe the conditioner as light on the hair, so it’s easy to wash off. Johnson’s No More Tangles range has a total of 4 products so it’s worth checking out the rest of the products, to use them in combination with each other.
We also like that Johnson’s promises mild products that can be used at every stage of baby’s life – its updated formulas use 50% less ingredients and are suitable for sensitive skin.
3. Mini-U Moisture Mania Hydrating Conditioner 1000ml, £13.95 – best for the entire range
This hydrating conditioner will leave hair feeling soft, shiny and healthy so will reduce the risk of dryness and tangles. As it’s a lightweight conditioner, it can also be used on a variety of hair types, from thick to thin, and is particularly effective for working down longer strands.
Mini-U make a great range of hair and skincare products for kids, with the entire range of Mini-U products winning gold for best baby skincare brand in our MadeForMums Awards 2018.
4. ASDA Little Angels No More Knots Detangling Leave-in Conditioner 200ml, £1.30 – best for a budget buy
Organic oats and calendula make this an effective everyday solution for hair styling. It can be used on wet or dry hair – and provides “slip” to help brush with less tears.
Users feel it helps prevent tangles and works better than more expensive products. Just a few spritzes can be effective – especially handy if your little one isn’t in the mood for a full wash and condition.
Oats are known for helping soften hair and adding sheen, while calendula (similar to marigolds) can hydrate and condition – a great combination of ingredients for no-knots hair at an affordable price.
Available from: Asda
5. Original Sprout Miracle Baby Detangler Spray 354ml, £17.95 – best for natural and organic ingredients
Many users support the “miracle” part of this product name; claiming that this spray has transformed their kids’ morning hair routine from a nightmare into a dream.
At £17.95, Original Sprout is the most expensive spray on our list, but it uses natural and organic ingredients and is free from a whole host of potential irritants (including gluten, dairy, peanuts and strawberries).
The spray uses calendula oil with rosemary, cranberry, arnica and cucumber to make this detangling spray effective and gentle, as well as relaxing to use.
6. WetBrush Original Detangler, £11.99 – best for reducing breakage
The WetBrush has been crafted with ultra-soft IntelliFlex® bristles which are designed to glide through hair strands, making brushing painless and minimising the breakage that can come with tangles.
This brush goes toe to toe with the similarly priced Tangle Teezer on our list, so it comes down to which design you prefer.
Combine with the right conditioner or detangler from our list – and enjoy tear and pain-free detangling.
7. Childs Farm Hair Detangler Grapefruit & Organic Tea Tree Oil 150ml, £5.50 – best for daily styling
This small but effective spray is tough on knots and perfect for those mornings when you need to style and go. Even on dry hair the results are impressive, with users stating that the spray eliminated tears pretty much instantly.
This is one of the smallest bottles of detangler on our list – so you may need to use it sparingly to make it last. However, like the Original Sprout, it boasts some great natural ingredients including tea tree oil. Naturally anti-fungal and antimicrobial, tea tree oil refreshes the scalp and lets the follicles breathe. It’s suitable for sensitive skin and may even encourage hair growth.
8. Wide Tooth Hair Comb Argan Oil Infused, £4.99 – best for long hair
Not everyone enjoys the brushing motion, therefore a good wide-tooth comb can be a better alternative to a brush when detangling. A wide-tooth comb is especially effective on wet hair but even on dry hair, it will help improve smoothness and increase shine.
This comb has the added benefit of being infused with argan oil, which is great for reducing dryness because of its softening and hydrating qualities.
It also comes at an affordable price – less than the Tangle Teezer or Wet Brush.
9. Jasmine Silk 100% Pure Mulberry Silk 19 Momme Charmeuse Silk Pillowcase with Cotton Underside, £9.99 – best for preventing tangles at night
Most effective in the reduction of tangles, especially if your little one wakes up to a head of knotted hair, is this silk pillowcase. Silk pillowcases help to reduce the effects of friction while sleeping, which can result in loss of moisture and frizz.
This particular pillowcase is on our list as it has a cotton underside. This will help prevent the case from slipping around or even off the bed. There are a few colours available so you can also match with your child’s existing room décor.
What's more, the smoother surface is pleasant to sleep on, so it’s unlikely that your little one will object to this bedtime addition.
Available from: Amazon
10. L'Oreal Kids Sweet Pear Tangle Tamer 150ml, £2.09 – best for before-school styling
Coming in a smaller bottle, like the Childs Farm spray earlier on our list, this spray is perfect for any tangles that have appeared in the night. And similar to the Johnson’s product, there’s a promise of “No Tears! No Knots!”.
It's suitable for use on wet or dry hair; users really rave about using it on their child’s dry hair as it makes brushing easier and tackling knots quicker – perfect when you’re in a hurry.
It also has a lovely fruity scent, making it an even nicer way to start the day.
- Best baby shampoos
- Best haircare products for children and babies with afro and curly hair
- Best bath products to use with babies and toddlers
As a seasoned expert in hair care and styling, I can attest to the crucial role that the right products and tools play in maintaining healthy and manageable hair, especially for children. The article you've provided offers valuable insights into the world of detangling and hair maintenance, and I'd like to elaborate on the concepts mentioned.
Conditioner and Slip:
- The article emphasizes the importance of a good conditioner on wash day. Conditioner provides "slip," allowing brushes or combs to move through wet hair more easily. This is a well-established principle in hair care, as it helps prevent breakage and makes the detangling process smoother.
Detangling Spray and Leave-in Conditioner:
- Detangling sprays and leave-in conditioners are highlighted for ongoing maintenance during daily styling. Ingredients such as calendula, tea tree, and oats are recommended for their knot-easing properties. These ingredients are known for their conditioning and nourishing benefits, contributing to overall hair health.
Specific Product Recommendations:
- The article provides specific product recommendations, each tailored to different needs and preferences. For example, Tangle Teezer and WetBrush are praised for their design and bristle technology, reducing breakage during detangling. Products like Johnson's No More Tangles Kids Conditioner and Mini-U Moisture Mania Hydrating Conditioner cater to specific requirements such as easy combing and suitability for various hair types.
Natural and Organic Ingredients:
- The mention of products like Original Sprout Miracle Baby Detangler Spray highlights the growing preference for natural and organic ingredients in hair care. Calendula oil, rosemary, cranberry, arnica, and cucumber are cited as effective and gentle components, aligning with the trend toward cleaner, more sustainable beauty products.
- The inclusion of budget-friendly options like ASDA Little Angels No More Knots Detangling Leave-in Conditioner demonstrates a consideration for accessibility. The product's use of organic oats and calendula attests to the idea that effective hair care doesn't necessarily require a hefty price tag.
Tools for Different Hair Types:
- The article suggests tools like the Wide Tooth Hair Comb Argan Oil Infused, catering specifically to long hair. The infusion of argan oil adds a layer of softening and hydrating qualities to the detangling process, addressing specific hair care needs.
Nighttime Hair Care:
- The recommendation of a silk pillowcase, such as the Jasmine Silk 100% Pure Mulberry Silk 19 Momme Charmeuse Silk Pillowcase, introduces the concept of nighttime hair care. Silk pillowcases are known to reduce friction, preventing tangles and promoting smoother hair in the morning.
- Lastly, products like L'Oreal Kids Sweet Pear Tangle Tamer are suggested for quick and easy before-school styling. The promise of "No Tears! No Knots!" aligns with the convenience required for busy mornings, and the fruity scent adds a pleasant touch to the routine.
In conclusion, the article provides a comprehensive guide to choosing the right products and tools for effective detangling and maintenance in children's hair care, catering to various preferences, budgets, and hair types.